Hello!



Hello! My name is Emma Margaret Simpson and I am a third year illustration student studying at Southampton Solent University. Welcome to my blog documenting my Final Major Project. Here I'll be sharing my processes, thoughts and ideas with you as the project develops.

Tuesday 11 March 2014

Self Promotion complete

Yesterday was the deadline for posting the self promotion work off to Jonny and 5 Art Directors/Publishers etc. of our choice.
I had most of it all printed off and finished last week and I just needed to find the addresses over the weekend, and I got them all sent off yesterday afternoon.

Here's what I sent:


A little folded book (slightly edited from my previous post about self promotion):


This is whats on the pages of the book:


And it folds out to reveal this image on the back:


I also included a set of 3 postcards (with rounded corners of course!) with a selection of images form my work; one character design, for line drawing, and one piece of typography:


It was all sent away in little envelopes with an illustration of a looking glass printed onto the front (which can be seen in the first picture of this post).

Seeing as everything I was sending off was based on book illustration, I decided to send mine to the art directors (or similar) at 5 different book publishers:

Deirdre McDermott, Publisher at Walker Books
Anna Bilson, Art Director at Puffin Art and Design, Penguin Books
Art Resource Co-ordinator at Candlewick Press (no name was provided for this one)
James Stevens, Art Director at HarperCollin's publishers
Stephanie Amster, Head of Design at Nosy Crow Publishers

Of course I've also sent one to Jonny for the crit on Thursday morning where we'll all discuss how effective (or ineffective) everything is.