Hello!



Hello! My name is Emma Margaret Simpson and I am a third year illustration student studying at Southampton Solent University. Welcome to my blog documenting my Final Major Project. Here I'll be sharing my processes, thoughts and ideas with you as the project develops.

Wednesday 12 March 2014

Finding Inspiration


1. I like the lack of perspective in illustrations like this one by Nicholas Stevenson, and I think its something I may need to use in my own work in order to successfully fit all of the characters and scenery onto the page.

2. My photos from my trip to the New Forest have been a big help this week. I've been particularly looking at the ones that include a "strange" or "unusual" formation of trees, such as this one that has two trees crossing over to form a sort of arch. This is helping me to design scenes which are slightly more interesting and dynamic than if I were to just draw lots of the same trees in a row.

3. This illustration by Kazu Kibuishi came up when I was searching for additional images of forests to use as inspiration, and I love the"make-believe" feel of it. So far a lot of my scenery designs have been a little too realistic considering they are based on a fairytale world where Rapunzel is a Giraffe! I think I need to be more adventurous with my scenery and try to come up with something like this, with houses in the trees and bridges in the skies.

4. I stumbled across these paper dolls on Etsy the other day and I really like the idea of them. I am a long way away from anything like this yet but I was thinking a couple of paper dolls of the characters might be a nice addition to the project, for example in an envelope at the back of the book.