Hello!



Hello! My name is Emma Margaret Simpson and I am a third year illustration student studying at Southampton Solent University. Welcome to my blog documenting my Final Major Project. Here I'll be sharing my processes, thoughts and ideas with you as the project develops.

Friday 14 March 2014

Designing Palaces

I mentioned in a post earlier this week that I need to try and be a bit more adventurous with my scenery designs. So today I tried out a new working process when designing a palace/chateau for the story (where Cinderella lives at the beginning, and where Rapunzel will be up in a tower).

I started off by finding a few images of palaces/chateaus that I liked on Pinterest:


Using these images as reference I then started to do some quick sketches of some of the interesting elements of the buildings, joining them together as I went, to create a new building with an array of different turrets, windows, roofs etc:


I then used these drawings in the same that I used my observational sketches from the Zoo and the New Forest, developing them into my own style of detailed line drawings:



I scanned this drawing in and gave it a bit of colour just to see how it would look:


I think this process has worked pretty well for me today and helped me to be much more adventurous and creative with my designs. I would definitely not have come up with something like the above image if I just drew from imagination or directly from photographs of palaces. I think I'm going to continue using this process over the next week whilst I continue to work on the scenery illustrations.