Hello!



Hello! My name is Emma Margaret Simpson and I am a third year illustration student studying at Southampton Solent University. Welcome to my blog documenting my Final Major Project. Here I'll be sharing my processes, thoughts and ideas with you as the project develops.

Friday 2 May 2014

Piecing things together

I've spent today continuing to put together the other pages for the book. I decided to piece the rest together before I colour anymore, as that way its easier to make any changes as I go.

So far I've done pages 2-5 (as well as 1 & 12 that I completed earlier in the week). This part of the process is pretty long as there are lots of elements to remember to include, and lots of fiddling around to get things in the right place, but so far I'm pleased with how they're all looking.

Page 2:


 Page 3:


 Page 4:


Page 5:


As with the images I've already done, these will be fully coloured and given a bit of texture. The seasons will be changing throughout the pages, with page 2 being autumn with leaves falling, page 3 with some bare trees and lots of leaves on the ground, page 4 with more bare trees and clouds in the sky, and page 5 has snow on the trees and buildings. The colours will also change to suit the weather, from browns and oranges through to white and pale blue. From page 6 onwards there will start to be touches as pink and green as it turns to spring, all the way to bright green and yellow for summer at the end of the book.

So far, I think page 5 is the most successful in terms of layout, the characters are spread all across the page and there's quite a lot happening. Page 2 is the one I am least happy with as all the characters are quite crowded into the bottom of the page, however I think this might look better once colour is added and there's more contrast between each character so they can stand out from each other.

I've tried to change around the perspective a little form page to page (as discussed earlier in the project)  but its quite difficult to fit all of the characters in, so at the moment some of the pages are looking a little repetitive. However, once the colour is added and different characters start to stand out in the foreground etc. I don't think that will be the case anymore. As well as this, the idea of book is to find certain characters etc. as you read through the images, rather than to look at each image as a whole, so that should help even further.

I've got 6 more pages to put together so I'll be working on those over the weekend and hope to start colouring early next week, in order to get them all ready to print on the following monday.