Hello!



Hello! My name is Emma Margaret Simpson and I am a third year illustration student studying at Southampton Solent University. Welcome to my blog documenting my Final Major Project. Here I'll be sharing my processes, thoughts and ideas with you as the project develops.

Thursday 8 May 2014

Introduction Page

As well as the end papers, I also need an introduction page for my book. I wanted something that fitted with the look of the rest of the images, but included text to explain how to read the book.

I started off with a few notes in my sketchbook on what I wanted it to say and how I might lay it out:


I took these ideas into Photoshop to create a very rough plan of what I was going to create, using a basic font and images form earlier in the project:



I created a new drawing of Little Red Riding Hood to make her the right size whilst still matching the way she looks in all the other pages (her costume had changed slightly since the character design used above). I also drew a small version of the kingdom on top of a hill, with the palace on another hill even further back. I used those two images as well as elements that I'm using on the pages (birds, trees etc.) and put this together:


The text reads:

This is Little Red Riding Hood.
Can you find her on every page and follow her adventure
as she makes her way through the magical kingdom?

When you get to the end, go back and start again
with another character. Keep going until you’ve
discovered everyone’s stories!

Who's feeling a little shy?
Who's giving Cinderella a helping hand?
Who's being followed by the witch?
What does Little Red Riding Hood drop behind her?
Where is Sleeping Beauty going?
Who's living up in the tower?
Who's making a few new friends?
Can you find the three butterflies on each page?

...

I've included the copyright information on this page as well, on the left hand side.

I removed the "Once upon a time there was a magical kingdom filled with heroes, villains and pretty princesses" as it didn't fit as well with everything else. I think having "Once Upon a Time..." as the title will be enough, as its more to the point and sets the scene effectively.

I'm quite pleased with how this is looking, and I think it works well with the rest of the pages.
I may have a few slight changes to make as I have yet to decide on the colours of some of the buildings as they haven't appeared on the pages I have fully coloured so far.

I also need to design the dust jacket for the book, but I will be doing that next week once I have bound the book and can measure the spine length etc.
Between now and Monday morning I'll be getting on with colouring the pages and finishing off the posters, and getting everything ready to print.