Hello!



Hello! My name is Emma Margaret Simpson and I am a third year illustration student studying at Southampton Solent University. Welcome to my blog documenting my Final Major Project. Here I'll be sharing my processes, thoughts and ideas with you as the project develops.

Wednesday 7 May 2014

End Papers

As I'm getting quite close to printing and binding my book, I need to decide on how the end papers are going to look. So this afternoon I came up with a few ideas and had a go at making some in Photoshop.

This is the first idea I came up with, using the trees and the birds that feature in the book and creating a repeat pattern:


For this one I was thinking of the bird and butterflies all flying around the hedges. It didn't turn out as well as I had hoped as I think its a little too fussy and its hard to make out the birds and butterflies:


Finally, I made a map of the world that the book is based in. I adapted the designs of it slightly and added the river and some footpaths to make it look more like a traditional map:


At the moment I'm deciding between the first and third designs. I definitely want the design to be just the brown line on the cream background as opposed to using lots of colours. The cover of the book and all the pages will be very colourful, so I think it will be nice to have something a bit different on the end papers.
Whether or not I use the map as the end papers, I will be creating a coloured version to go on the wall along with the character prints I'm making.

I also need to work on the introduction page of the book, which I will be doing this evening and tomorrow.